CAPS is a programme designed for young people who would like to spend a year in Spain helping in a School as a Conversation Teaching Assistant. You will be assigned to an infant, primary, secondary, ALevel or technical school located in the region of Catalonia or Valencia in Spain. You will have all your bed and board paid for and receive an allowance every month.
· Preferably an A-level school leaver, university student or recent university graduate.
· Males and Females are accepted but there is a preference, for accommodation reasons to accept females.
· Vocation or desire to work with children. (Preference if the applicant has had previous experience working with children)
· A dynamic and friendly personality, open minded, easygoing, energetic.
· Love for children, ability to socialize and a desire to live in a foreign country.
· Capacity to live with a family, accept family’s requirements and be involved in family life.
· The applicant should be conscious of all the different aspects the programme involves in order to avoid disappointment.
· European passport holders.
You will be assisting in classes of children between the ages of 3 to 16 years old. A maximum of 25 working hours per week.
You will assist the teacher, and your specific responsibilities will be principally focused on reinforcing and improving the ability of the students in English. From Monday to Friday usually between 8.30am to 6pm.
You will be assigned a tutor from the school that will help you to integrate and give guidance if you have any concerns regarding the school or your host family. The programme starts at the end of September/early October 2014 and finishes on the 20th of June 2015.
A Spanish and Catalan course will be provided.
Possible tasks: Conversation practice. Stimulation of student’s speaking skills. Help in other subjects apart from English (which can be taught in English) such as Science, Art, Sports, Computers, etc. Prepare the speaking part of the exams such as Cambridge ESOL. Explain the culture and traditions of his own country by doing presentations. Playing English games, reading, songs, dictations, role-plays, game-boards, etc. Prepare activities and complementary material. Decorations for the classrooms.
Will be provided with a host family/teacher during the time that the person in Spain on the programme. Will have his/her own room, and will be given breakfast and evening meals during the week, and full board at weekends and on public holidays.
The host family will be linked with the school, either through the school staff or by a student studying at the school, and thus it is they who will arrange transport to and from the school. (may have to accompany the host family’s child to and from school.)
Usually stays with more than one host family during the programme, for example one each term. Host families do not receive any payment to host the conversation assistant in their house.
The candidates will attend to a Skype interview for the selection precess.
You will receive 200€ as a grant for each month you collaborate with the school. Remember that all the basic expenses such as food and transport to and from the school are covered by the family or school.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and the application form